“This Is Garbage!”

My boy, Sam, loves the Villanova Wildcats.

I’m not talking about my love of the Yankees even...

...his love of ‘Nova is like the love of a thousand suns. He NEVER misses a game. When they win he’s happy. When they lose he sulks and figures out reasons why and how they can fix it.

He’s watched them win two National Championships and he wants more. He’s also seen them play live four times and they lost three of those games...

...he wants more there.

The buzz started over the weekend. He could possibly score tickets for the Big East Tournament games at MSG this coming weekend.

Kathy helped him and his buddy find a hotel room and he paid good money for courtside seats.

And then...

...Wednesday afternoon happened.

The Coronavirus hit home.

The NCAA announced that games would be played in empty arenas.

One tournament after another chimed in.

“They better not!” Sam yelled. “I don’t care about getting sick!”

“It might be more serious than what they’re saying,” I said.

“Donny T told me it was just a cold!” Sam said. “I don’t care about sniffles.”

I laughed.

Sam likes to annoy me by calling the president, ‘Donny T.’

“Okay,” I said. “The game is still on and you can go, but you bring the illness back here and it gets me, your mother, Melky and Paris really sick. Do you still go?”

Sam paused.

He really seemed concerned.

“Can I take Paris out of it? It’s not right because she is a sick dog.”

“Okay, Paris is in the clear. Do you go? Me, Melky and your Mom.”

“Oh hell yes,” Sam said. “Worth it if ‘Nova wins and Paris is fine.”

Me and Jake laughed.

“I think he means it,” Jake said.

Maybe.

We don’t know yet.

He’s still hopeful.

But he’s pissed.

“What luck! Trip of a lifetime and it’s out the window for a virus!”

“That’s life, kid. It gets worse.”

Comments

TammieL said…
I think I love your boy Sam! We are in SoCal and we are having kid's sports practices and events cancelled left and right. My sweet 13yo girl has had her heart set on playing in a vball tourney in Vegas in a couple of weeks...I'm just waiting for the official cancellation. Yup life sucks, and it gets worse. Hang in there Sam!
Cliff Fazzolari said…
I feel for all the kids who are dealing with this interruption. Life is supposed to be fun when you’re a kid! This is not acceptable to any of them!
Good luck to your daughter. Hope she’s playing again soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie