Melky is 14 Freaking Years Young

We celebrated Melky’s 14th birthday yesterday.

She moves a little slower and she has a few growths on her, including one on her lip, that was bleeding a little yesterday, but she amazes me every day.

We grabbed Melky from the last cell at the YMCA back in the early summer of 2006.

She was a little smaller back then, and she was certainly a lot more hyper, but all-in-all, she’s the same dog.

And, man oh man, she loves me.

I was in Kansas last Sunday through Tuesday.

“She hardly moves when you’re gone,” Kathy said. “She eats, goes outside and then sleeps, and sleeps and sleeps.”

“Isn’t that what all of you do?” I asked.

“We don’t have to go out,” my beautiful wife said.

Yet, when I’m home!

I walked through the door at 8:00 on Tuesday night.

Melky didn’t hear me come in.

“She’s deaf as hell,” Sam said.

I actually went to her spot on the couch and touched her shoulder. Her eyes opened slowly.

She took in that it was me standing before her.

And then she started crying.

Happy tears.

Melky likes for all of her days to be the same. She also is very respectful of the time.

She’s up early and she races down the 20-some steps to make it to the back door so she doesn’t pee in the house. She eats her breakfast and might eat Paris’ breakfast too, and then we take our ride.

I have to lift her in and out of the car these days, but there’s no way she would ever skip a day.

She gets a couple of bones and then she gets on the couch where she stays until I get home.

Then dinner, more bones and she hangs tight until about 8:58.

We go out again and then up to bed.

I read. She drinks water and hangs out.

At 10:00 we end the day...

...until I open my eyes the next day and wake up to say:

“Morning, Melkster. Thanks for waking up again.”

She’s been a great companion.

I hope she makes it to 25.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie