Hardball

I don’t watch a whole lot of the talking heads news shows.

I mostly get my news from reading, but of course, I was aware of Chris Matthews and his show Hardball that aired on MSNBC.

Well, it did air there.

Matthews quit last night...

...two minutes into the show because there was an article printed about how he inappropriately talked to guests on his show.

He asked one guest, as she was in the makeup chair, that he wondered why he hadn’t fallen in love with her.

The woman explained that she was uncomfortable.

Now, I’m sure this isn’t the popular thing to say, but I read all the allegations and it’s lost on me how a comment like that can destroy a woman who hears it.

I wasn’t there and perhaps Matthews was a creep, but it seems pretty unbalanced to me.

Franken resigned.

Matthews resigned.

Others are going to jail for far worse things and they deserve it, but still others, call the women liars and stay right where they are.

Matthews final statement dealt with how there is a changing of the guard and that young people are now speaking in different ways.

He explained that in the past, he may have made stupid comments that he considered flirting or harmless banter.

I’m a 55-year-old man - for the first 25-30 years of my life there were jokes told in movies and on sitcoms that are now considered HORRIBLE!

I was watching an episode of ‘Friends’ last week and Joey was talking about his sexual conquests...

...I actually wondered if those sets of jokes would even make it past the screener these days.

‘Friends’ wasn’t that long ago!!

I’ve known very strong women all my life.

My Mom, my sisters, my wife and sister-in-laws.

They have been subjected to a lot of jokes. I’m sure that they stood up for themselves when someone said something stupid to them...

...it’s sad that they were subjected to any of it, but I wonder a lot about how ALL of the banter is now considered abuse.

Of course, I’m a going-on-old-white-male.

I kind of feel guilty by association.

“Okay boomer.”

“You didn’t even know what you were saying was offensive!”

I guess not!

Now, I do know that it is simply about respect and I have never purposely disrespected a woman.

Dumb jokes??

I’ve told them.

Malicious intent...

...nope!

But the wise and honorable Jeff Popple once mentioned:

“Think of what women have put up with for years. We are paying the dues now.”

Maybe.

The bill came due for Chris Matthews and maybe more will come out, but seems a little crazy on the face.

Maybe it’s time for all the old white males should walk away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie