Thank God for Memory

It’s a date that I’ve grown to despise:

March 4th.

Eleven years since I last saw my brother.

And there are so many little things that still pop into my head.

Every day.

Just yesterday I heard, “Nothing Man” from Bruce’s “The Rising” record.

The day it was released we discussed the lyrics.

“The guy is going to kill himself,” Jeff said.

“No way. Where you getting that?”

“The pearl & silver on my night stand. I’ll show you courage you can’t understand.”

He was right.

I never put it together that way.

I heard that song yesterday and recalled the entire conversation.

Lots of those talks just pop into my head...

...and of course, it’s better to have loved, but 11 years without my brother seems like a rather tough punishment to endure for that love.

I still feel cheated...

...out of all the laughs I’ve missed...

...out of all that love that I still felt but I’m not sure he has been able to recognize.

We were talking about Sam and his love of the NCAA Tourney. Sam’s complete obsession reminded me.

“Your Uncle was just as crazy about it as you,” I told Sam.

“It sucks that we don’t get to compare notes,” Sam said.

Yeah.

It does.

And I’m no fan of the 4th day of March either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie