Ain’t that America?

Little pink houses for you and me.

A whole bunch of people are out there looking to make massive profits off of people’s fear.

I think a whole lot of people read the article about the brothers from Lexington, Kentucky who bought up all the hand sanitizer and wipes from every store they could find and then sold everything for obscene prices.

A $1.00 bottle of sanitizer was being sold for $70.

The brothers were selling plenty of it too until Amazon pulled the plug.

I can’t even imagine thinking of doing such a thing. The one guy quoted in the story made it seem as if doing that very thing...selling items at a gigantic profit when seeing fear or a trend in the marketplace was how he made his living.

The man who appeared to be the bad guy in the story said that his price gouging was actually a public service. He was sending things that are needed in a community from his town where the goods were easily accessible.

Price gouging.

To a vulnerable public.

I didn’t really see a whole lot until on Saturday night when I made a trip to Wegman’s looking for some ravioli. There wasn’t any!

In fact, entire shelves of food were completely wiped out.

Up and down the aisles...

...nothing but empty.

I’m from an Italian-American family. We always have a pretty fully stocked freezer and pantry. I grew up that way and we have always filled our cupboards the same way. My boy’s friends love the fact that there is always plenty to eat and drink at our place.

Seventy bucks for hand sanitizer?

I saw a woman who was speaking about not being able to find the supplies she needed for child care.

Could you sell a woman who needed supplies a $1.00 bottle of sanitizer for $70.00?

I couldn’t.

I’d likely let her have it.

But I have a conscience.

I’m beginning to understand that there are plenty of men who don’t.

They get theirs.

They could care less if you get yours.

Oh ain’t that America, land of the free.

Little pink houses for you and me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie