Old As Dirt

I’ve been having a number of discussions with my boys, and their friends, about “old as dirt athletes.”

“Yeah, Wilt scored 100 points in a game because he was the only one over 7’ tall and the guys he played against looked like mailmen.”

“Oh, like Jabbar?” I’ll ask. “Because the last I looked he was the all-time leading scorer and he was taller than Wilt.”

They hit me with all of them.

“Larry Bird was slow and white. He’d be a bench player now.”

Or

“Mickey Mantle hit homers off of guys who were throwing 75 mph.”

“Gretzky would never score 50 in today’s NHL,” one kid said!!!!

So, now I’m on the other side of the generational debate...

...yet it got real ugly this week.

“Tom Brady is overrated,” is the new garbage going through the young people community now.

“He’s not an athlete!” My kids argued. “He’s slow!”

I argued back all week.

My beautiful wife rolled her eyes every time we were all in the same room.

And the game started yesterday.

By halftime, I was sitting by myself.

Because Brady was ridiculously great and I kept reminding the kids about being prepared.

Score one for the old guy...

...and I realize that Brady is public enemy number one in Buffalo, but this time it was more about old versus young.

I sent a video of Pistol Pete doing tricks with the basketball.

He was truly a wizard.

The kids grudgingly gave me that one...

...and then they started talking about how LeBron would destroy him.

Next week it’s the 41-year old QB against the 24-year old QB...

...and Father Time is undefeated...

...so some day it will end for Brady...

...but not this week...

...score one for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie