Championship Sunday

So, it’s Rams-Patriots for the Super Bowl.

And if you’re from Kansas City or New Orleans you aren’t talking much about the overtime game you just lost...

...you’re talking about the refs.

New Orleans has a real beef. They lost after having basically won the game. The refs butchered a clear pass interference, mugging with about a minute left.

I watched.

Half of the first game and all of the second one.

The score was tied in the second one and I nearly shut off the game.

“It’s a horrible sport,” I texted a buddy of mine. “The refs can’t keep up.”

That has to be part of it.

The players are big and strong and so fast. Watch a game from the sideline camera sometime.

It’s actually scary!

There are so many cameras now and replay slows it all down, and the refs are left exposed. In the second game they zoomed in on a ref under the hood, and I thought, “Damn, there’s a lot of pressure on this guy!”

And he isn’t a trained athlete.

He’s an old dude! Sweat pouring down his face, his breathing heavy, cause the game is in his hands!

When the game is in the hands of the ref and not Brady or Brees...

...your sport has problems!

My boys were furious with the result.

“Baseball season is coming,” I texted.

“Shut Up!” They answered.

I also heard a lot of “It’s rigged! These games are fixed!! The league wants Brady in the super bowl!”

I think back to my youth when a friend of my grandfather’s on the Italian side, said:

“Betting controls the outcome, kid. Billions of dollars are at stake. You know of anything else in life where billions of dollars are left to chance?”

He was saying it was rigged.

My Dad swore as much, but I honestly think that if it were rigged, they would’ve let the Bills win one of the four!

So, what did we learn?

The refs stink.

The rules are indecipherable.

Almost everyone hates New England

And

If Brady has to go 95 yards in two minutes...

...the only thing to worry about is if he’s going to leave too much time on the clock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie