I Didn’t Watch

I often think about the 1976 presidential election and how I stayed up late to watch the returns.

I remember the discussion between my parents because my Mom thought I should go to bed. Dad thought letting me watch was important.

I have spent my life paying attention to the politics of the country.

Never in my life did I ever dream that I’d see what we are now seeing.

So, I didn’t see it.

When the Oval Office primetime talk about the Wall was taking place, I was hanging with my dogs, and getting ready for bed.

Rather than turning on the television, I read ‘Elevation’ the new Stephen King book.

I was shocked that all the networks that have taken a couple of years of abuse...

...under the heading ‘Fake News’....

...was intent on giving up air time for a “crisis” that was a “crisis” in just one diseased mind.

And mostly, I thought of what I missed about leadership.

The comfort of knowing that we were in good hands.

(There was always a healthy give and take...not anymore).

The idea that we lived in the greatest country on the face of the earth.

(Pretty hard to say that with a straight face now...we’ve left too many out).

“We’ll be all right,” My Dad would say.

(I wonder what he’d say now).

The address ended as did the Democratic response.

I went to Twitter to gauge the response.

I should’ve skipped that too.

Well before the 1976 election my Mom made us sit and watch the moon landing...

...we were proud.

All of us, as Americans.

United

States of America.

That’s what I miss.

Glad I missed most of Tuesday night...

...and all of Wednesday’s tantrums.

Sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie