Is This It?

I told you earlier this week about the dark, cold and ice.

Rough time of the year in the northeast.

Additionally, the national news has all been dire. It’s weird, but it’s the first time in my life (other than 9/11) when it’s actually sickening to listen in.

Personally, I’ve heard a lot of bad news about the health of some good friends or spouses of friends or guys I used to work with...

... a few weeks back I went to a wake, a funeral and visited a buddy in the hospital in a 2-day period.

There’s a real temptation to let it all just eat you alive, and it certainly can.

Is this it?

That’s the rallying cry of people at their wits end.

Easy to wonder in the early months...

...in the darkness and cold when the old body aches.

Yet, there’s a toughness....

...a reservoir of strength deep inside all of us that has to be tapped in times of struggle and doubt.

I’ve always been the bringer of sunshine...

...I live by one line:

“Suck it up and tough it out and do the best you can.”

I got two speeding tickets singing that line from ‘Minutes to Memories.’

I often think:

“This too will pass.”

It usually does (sickening national news aside).

But being dragged is a human condition. It really is. Feeling drained. Wondering if the efforts will pay off.

It’s a battle.

Empty spaces all around.

Ran into a bunch of guys in the tool container near a portable heater on a frozen, windy site. They were eating slices of pizza they got off a truck.

I told them a long, funny, filthy joke that Super Dave Osborne once told to Jerry Seinfeld on an episode of ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm.’

As I was walking away I heard one guy say, “He’s always happy.”

Nope.

But I am the bringer of sunshine.

Laugh a little.

(Look up the joke at your own peril. It’s filthy).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie