Dark & Cold & Icy

This is a tough stretch for a 54-year-old man.

It’s cold.

Extra pair of socks, thermal underwear, a hoodie and a Carhartt. Gloves and hat too.

It’s dark.

You wake up and its dark. The sky is grey. It’s dark when you get home.

It’s icy.

I walk like a penguin so I don’t fall down. I have to start the car and warm it up before I go. And I watch the weather.

“Snow showers.”

“Winter weather advisories.”

And so far so good, actually. Here in Buffalo-freaking-New York we’ve had very little snow so far.

I mentioned that to the convenient store clerk.

“You do realize that there isn’t so much as an ice cube in the lake right now?”

Which means that we’re gonna’ get blasted!

So, how does one pick up their mood in the middle of dark, cold and icy season?

Last night we had meatloaf with mashed potatoes.

Comfort food!

Then a blanket and four episodes of Law & Order.

From the couch to the bed where the warm blankie is.

That’s how you do it!

But there are always highlights....

...yesterday I was on a site. Had trudged to the mud to the beautiful green box where construction guys get to pee. The box was up close to the newly erected building where guys were clearing debris.

From the 2nd floor window...

...guy tossed a half a 2X4...

...hit me square in the back.

I turned around and looked up.

“Oh sh*t!” He yelled and ran away. I heard him say:

“I hit the Safety dude.”

Lovely.

I actually laughed...

...went home and wrote him up.

Dopey bastard.

Just what a cold, old Safety guy needs on a dark and icy day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie