Ten Years Ago Today

There are people who can recall every second of every day of their entire life, knowing what they ate, how they felt and what they watched on television.

Ten years ago today I was at the Bills game as they played the New York Jets. I was with my buddy Jeff, my buddy John and my buddy Al.

The Bills lost.

We drank beer, ate wings, and laughed a lot. On that very morning the United States announced that they were going to attack Iraq for the 9/11 attacks that occurred less than a month earlier.

Sound reasoning there.

My wife was home with the boys. While I was at the game they were going to take a long nap to help fight the colds they were getting.

There were snowflakes in the air.

My kids were just 8, 4 and 1.

The Yankees were gearing up for a playoff match up with the Oakland A's.

Our lives were absolutely shattered on 10/06/01 because before the day was out, it was in an elevator that a nurse spilled the beans.

"It's the most massive tumor we've ever seen," she said.

Life's lessons were there for me to take.

Did I take them?

Jake was successfully cured at the hospital.

The Bills still haven't been back to the playoffs.

We are still in Iraq.

It's 70 degrees today.

The Yankees are preparing for a playoff game against the Detroit Tigers.

I'm having pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner.

And I am a better man.

A little heavier. A lot balder. More patient. Still dedicated. Happy now and again.

When Jake comes through the door tonight I think he'll get a hug.

"Get off me, old man," he'll say.

So glad he's around to say it.

He never gets sick anymore.

What were you doing ten years ago today?

Comments

John said…
I was going from a good time with great friends to sick with worry about a great friend's son. I'll never forget it.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie