The Shea Brothers

On Saturday night I went out to see my brother-in-laws and some good friends play at a benefit for the Gloria Shea Memorial Scholarship Dinner at Ilio Di Paolo's Restaurant in Blasdell.

There are a few reasons why I want to write-up the music from the evening, the greatest reason of all being that the band can really play. I'm talking great vocals, excellent music, a bit of comedy, and just great old-time Rock & Roll.

As I watched, I longed for the days of the great bands. Quick, think of an act that started after 1990 and is still playing. We tried to do just that as a table discussion.

"U2," someone said.

"1982," I said.

"Bruce is still playing."

"1973."

Then we got to talking about the Beatles and the Stones because Pat and the crew were blowing the room away with their great songs. Jim Shea was doing a great John Lennon voice on the stage.

"They don't write them like that anymore," someone at my table said.

And what really gets to me, whenever I'm seeing live talent perform, is that I really, really wanted to be a rock star. I've always loved music. I grew up watching bands perform. My I-pod is jammed.

The problem being...and I am reminded of it always...is that I am really severely hampered when it comes to musical talent. I can't keep the beat.

"Clap along with the song," my beautiful wife chided as Pat sang an old Elvis song.

"Turn around and shut-up, please," I said.

I thought of holding my first guitar. I was in music class in 9th grade. We were trying to learn Hey Jude. I told my mother it would be the start of something big.

I got a D in the class.

As the show was winding down, Pat called up one of the guys who was sitting at my table, Marty, to sit in on drums for Twist & Shout. Marty jumped right in and I watched him play.

It blew my mind. The guy sitting drinking beers across from me was able to just get up and play an old classic. How neat would it be able to do that?

And after the show I went to talk to the band.

Same goofy guys who I chat with at every party. Pat's beautiful wife Patti thanked us for coming.

The pleasure was all ours.

I love talented people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie