I Love My Dogs, But Seriously?

Today I was recanting a story of a few years ago.

It's a true story.

I visited a shop for work. The woman that I was meeting with had adopted her business from her husband who had died, rather unexpectedly, leaving her in charge. Her one hesitation about taking the job was that she didn't want to leave her dog home alone as she worked.

So she brought the dog to work with her. After all, she was the boss.

When I met the woman, the dog was literally on it's last legs. It looked like it was painful for the Lab to even lift it's head. Being a dog-lover, I had to ask.

"How old is your dog?"

"He's 16," the woman said. Tears welled in her eyes. "He has cancer, I'm afraid. I may have to have his back legs amputated."

She must have seen the horror reflected back from my eyes.

"He'll be fine. They have wheelchairs for them. Honestly, he can live at least five more years. He's really healthy otherwise."

Wow, I thought. Healthy? Other than the cancer and missing legs?

A month later, I was back at the office. The dog's bed was still in place under her desk, but Scout was nowhere to be seen.

I was afraid to ask.

"Scout had his operation yesterday," the woman said. "Seven thousand dollars, but worth every penny because he'll be home tomorrow."

I can't remember what I said. Something along the lines of That's wonderful!

Another month passed. I must admit that I considered the dog a bit and the woman who was so set on having him survive.

I was a little concerned when I parked in the lot.

I entered the office slowly, afraid that I might be run down by the two-legged dog with the wheelchair for his ass-end.

But no such luck.

The dog was nowhere to be found.

And the bed was gone.

I didn't get even a single word out of my mouth before the woman began to weep. Her dog had passed.

"I'm so sorry," I said.

"The problem is that I don't know what to do with him now."

I didn't understand.

"He's in a trunk in the back of my car. Do you think I should bury him or cremate him?"

I am not kidding!

The story is true.

It's been 3 years. We lost that account. I'm just wondering.

Is poor Scout still being driven around the streets of Buffalo?

Around and around we go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie