I'll Meet You on Cliff Street


Sometimes it seems that the world revolves around us, doesn't it? I always think of my son telling me, "It's not your world."

Cliff Street in the City of Buffalo is off Clinton Street right next to Elk Provision, the meat market where my Dad, my brothers and sisters and I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars. it will take you to the thruway if you go the right direction on it.

I remember the first trip I made to the market. I was always a little daffy and was extremely impaired when it came to driving directions. (Thank God for GPS).

"Go down Clinton and turn left on Cliff Street," my father instructed. "Can you remember Cliff Street? If you can't, look at your driver's license. If you get lost, ask someone your name and then turn down that street."

Sometimes I get lost just traveling down Cliff Street. It's a short and fairly non-descript road, but it certainly feels like it's mine.

Weird, ain't it?

What I like about being on Cliff Street is that it is filled with loving memories, and it leads to that excellent meat market where we all went in and emptied out our wallets for the ribs, the pork loins, and the steaks from the back that are cut special for the 'Fuzzy' boys'.

"Make sure you say hello to your mother," a couple of the guys that were cutting up the meat said.

We played the game where they ring up the purchases and I guess what it will all add up to. I missed by $1.54 on a $98 order.

I loaded the meat into the car. We were going to have ribs for dinner. I will marinade them and cook them slow.

I made the left on Cliff Street feeling as if I owned the world all of a sudden.

I could hear my father giving me the directions and laughing.

If that sign ever comes up missing, you'll know right where it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie