I Won!!! (I always win)

Nope, Oh Brother! The Life & Times of Jeff Fazzolari was not a finalist in the non-fiction category for the National Book Award, but check this. I received this letter from a reader in New Jersey, from a man that Jeff knew long ago, but who'd I never met.

Cliff,

Jeff would be very proud of how you wrote about his life. The ache I feel in my heart every day is unbelievable, and this is coming from a person who has not spoken to Jeff in over 20 years (one of the greatest regrets of my life, by the way), but I can not imagine what you and your family went through and are still going through. I do want to thank you for giving me some closure on some of my regret. It was great to know that Jeff had not changed one bit and that he was still a fun-loving prankster.

There were so many things that stuck out, but there was one thing that struck me the most. After Jeff's first son was born he said, "How can you not believe?"

I so wish that Jeff and I had remained in touch throughout the years. Even though I'd known him for only nine short months, he made a tremendous positive impact on my life, and I will always cherish each moment. Your book brought it alive again for me.

You are a great brother and I know Jeff is watching over you and your family to make sure everyone is smiling.

I am a teacher, and I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade special education. I am trying hard to do the Lord's work. You certainly did that. Cliff, you are a great man. God Bless!

Sincerely,

John Bellina


Now, this might sound like true bullshit to you, but if God would have given me the choice of receiving National recognition for the book, or receiving this letter from one of Jeff's friends from 20 years ago, I honestly would have chosen the letter.

That's not to say we are giving up! Onto the New England Book Festival! We are going to party in Beantown and pee at the foot of Fenway.

So, faithful readers, your job from now until a month from now is to pass the Oh Brother! info. on to all you know!

Let's make them have to pick it in New England!

We don't have a huge publishing house behind us, but we have the best: Sterlinghouse out of wonderful Pittsburgh, Pa., and there isn't a writer out there who had a better man for a subject.

Not even close!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie