Bobby Screw and Your Own Pew

We were watching Game 7 of the World Series. Sam was rooting for the Rangers and I sort of wanted the Cardinals because I like Lance Berkman. Either way, it didn't really matter to either of us because the 27-Time World Champion Yankees weren't involved.

Oh well, free agency starts this week.

During the 7th inning stretch Joe Buck-up announced that a grammy winner was going to lead the tribute song to America. Buck-up introduced singer David Nail.

Never heard of the guy.

David Nail?

I turned to Sam and said, in an angry tone, "David NAIL? What was Bobby Screw busy?"

Sort of a dumb, throw-away line that my brother John is really good at. Puns that make you laugh because they are really dumb.

Except Sam couldn't stop laughing. He got caught in a giggle that went on until the game was over. He would look at me and just say, "Bobby Screw, Bobby Screw, Bobby Screw."

The sound of his laughter took me way back...I was probably Sam's age. I was seated beside my Dad at church. An elderly, poverty-stricken, sick-with-a-cold woman was in the pew in front of us. She got caught in a coughing fit. As she coughed. She farted. Very audibly.

My Dad laughed so hard that he almost drowned out the sound of my laughter.

"She's sitting in her own pew," he said.

That was enough!

The usher had to come over to see if I was okay. My stomach hurt so badly from laughing. My mother was giving Dad the angry glare. The eight of us were the main spectacle.

I honestly remember that Dad and I had to leave mass. For the next thirty years we laughed about it.

The game ended. The trophy was handed out. Years from now, we may not remember who won in 2011, but this morning Sam came up the stairs. My I-pod was playing a Bob Seger song.

"Is that Bobby Screw?" Sam asked.

And he started laughing again.

Comments

I still remember the story - Dad would replay the entire scene, laughing.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie