A Shot at Redemption

All of the best movies are about flawed characters overcoming the odds to do the impossible. Think Rocky, think Blindside. Think Revenge of the Nerds.

The other night AJ Burnett had to pitch for the Yanks in an elimination game. My mother-in-law hates him. I'm talking, 'if I had a gun I'd shoot him' type of misappropriated anger.

Good thing she doesn't have a gun or the whole countryside might be littered with bodies, but that's another story.

My mother-in-law is not alone. AJ has not exactly endeared himself to the Yankee faithful.

"I think he's going to pitch well," I said.

"You're crazy! He's an idiot!" My mother-in-law exclaimed.

AJ was in a perfect position to do what I like to see done. He had a shot at winning us back. Could it unfold like a movie, perhaps?

Thinking about the life of Steve Jobs today. He was given up by his biological parents. He dropped out of college. He got fired from Apple on the 1st go-around.

And then he changed my life and your life and the lives of the kids that follow us. He gave me an I-pod!!!

And he really led by example. And he was a smart guy. Real smart.

AJ started the game the other night by walking the bases load. He was saved in the inning when one of his teammates made a circus catch.

And then he took over.

He looked calm, in control and at peace with his abilities. He cruised through the big game, concentrating and knowing that if he failed, he gave it his all.

Life doesn't always work out. That's why we make movies of the times that it does. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean much. Even if the 27-Time World Championship Yankees become the 28-Time World Championship Yankees, it doesn't change a damn thing in our lives.

(Other than I become slightly more irritating).

But that baseball and life lessons thing is open to me again.

AJ redeemed himself. Michael Vick is trying to renew his energies. Ben Rapistpervert got married! Steve Jobs was rehired by Apple and lived by example until he was taken away yesterday.

Mistakes are plentiful. Under-achieving is the norm. Complacency always settles in.

Rise above and we make a movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie