Sirens

I grew up in a small town so I guess my fear of hearing a police, ambulance or fire siren is based on something real.

Back then there was a good chance that I'd know who was on the receiving end of that emergency call.

Now, living in a bigger town, there are more sirens.

But they still scare me.

Most of the time I hear it, and I do an inventory of who is or isn't home.

I know, I know...

...a tad irrational, but every parent in the world knows that fear.

If the emergency vehicle is on your road though, it's even worse.

My boy, Sam, is the anti-Clifford!

I go to bed at the same time each night. I wake up real early every day. Some nights I sleep better than others, but I'm highly routine.

Sam?

He sleeps when he's tired. No matter what time it is and that makes a mess of things some nights.

Well, Thursday morning at just a little after five, I was startled awake by a red, flashing light. My window was open so I heard the crackle of a radio.

"There's a light on in a garage," a voice said.

"COPS!"

Right outside my bedroom window. Looking into my back yard.

I got out of bed quickly and hustled down the stairs. I opened the door to Sam's room.

His bed was empty!!!

My heart leaped to my throat.

"What's up?" Sam said as I looked for the cop car.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"Hot tub," he said. "I fell asleep way early, woke up around midnight...been up since."

Well, the cops are here.

"Why?" He asked.

"I have no idea!"

I looked out the window...there wasn't a cop car to be found. I looked up and down the street.

Nothing!!

Time to get up anyway.

I clicked on Twitter and immediately saw a story.

"Suspect apprehended in southtowns minutes ago," the headline read.

Evidently there had been a epic car chase after the Guns N Roses concert. The driver had escaped on foot. There had been a long hunt for the guy.

"You gotta' get into a routine!" I said to my confused son.

"I didn't do anything," he said.

I couldn't fathom how to tell him about my fear of sirens.

"Go to bed," I said.

He obliged.

Better!

Safe there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty