Missing A Good Game, Blue

The MLB umpires are staging a protest against the verbal assaults that they've had to endure lately.

Joe West, an ump who lives to be featured as a story above the game, sported a white arm band that was a show of solidarity with some of the other umps who've taken a beat down lately.

Tigers player Ian Kinsler went off on Angel Hernandez after a recent game, suggesting that Hernandez should do something else for a living because he's horrendous as an umpire.

Now, pay no mind to the fact that Kinsler is absolutely correct, going off on an ump is a bad look.

I watch a lot of baseball.

I've seen some strike zones that were horrendous. Most of the time the players adjust. They might get banged on a high strike in the first inning, but by the 3rd or 4th they have the feel for it, and they adjust.

I don't want to see umpires eliminated. I'm sure there could be an electronic strike zone that would remove all debate, but I don't want it.

What I do want is much what Ian Kinsler wants:

Angel Hernandez has to go!

He's awful at his job.

And the rest of the umps have to be aware that they aren't the story. Guys are competing hard. They might get angry when you call a pitch in the opposite batter's box a strike.

Let them gripe!

Nowadays if a player says something the ump rips off his own mask and fights back.

A 'your missing a good game, blue' is not met with a fight.

I was tossed from one game...in all the organized games I ever played in.

There had been a close play at the plate in a highly contested game. The call went against my team, and I had argued heartily with the ump. To his credit, he took it. Everything eventually calmed down and I got into position behind the plate as a catcher.

The next pitch arrived:

"Ball!" He called out.

"Geez," I said, shaking my head in disgust.

And he bounced me!!

I said: "Geez!"

Years later, about ten years ago, I saw the ump out where he was tending bar. I told him the story and he laughed.

"You pissed me off," he said.

And he bought me a shot of crown royal.

"We're just people," he said, as we toasted. "And crown royal isn't just for breakfast anymore."

We laughed and clanked glasses.

Can't we just all get along?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie