On Vacation

Jay Thomas, the humorist, actor, radio show host, who died this past week...

...and made me sad...

...actually left a note behind, telling people not to be sad because he had a lot of fun, and lived his life as if he were on vacation every day.

I loved that!

And unfortunately I think about such things too much, but I do know what Jay was saying there.

Death is the big end, right.

Yet, I certainly feel much as Jay has felt throughout his days.

I've enjoyed my time immensely, and if something happens suddenly I'd love people to know that much.

Life has always felt like a bit of a vacation for me as well. Even with the physical pain of the last few years I have always enjoyed my life's work, and writing the books has been a tremendous pleasure...

...it's what I might do if someone said that we only had 24 hours left!

I'd spend as much time as I could with the ones I love, of course, but at the very last moment I might end up with a pen and a notebook on my lap.

It's funny, and I just thought of it now, but as a kid I had swelling in my index finger and it had worried my mother. She wondered what was going on, but I explained that it was from holding a pen.

So, life has felt like a bit of a vacation for me.

I've enjoyed the full catastrophe of my days. I've been a part of two great families. I've laughed with hundreds of friends....and a lot of strangers, actually!

Yet, what saddens me when I hear of someone's death (especially a celebrity that I never met) is that I think of The big D coming for me.

And I don't want to miss what happens down the line!

I want to be around to see how many World Series the Yankees eventually get to...

...and flying cars...

...and life spans that eventually get to 150 or so.

But anyway...

...I'd hope that the people who've known me...

...and who get to stick around longer than me...

...don't feel sadness, either.

Because it's been a good time.

Almost as if I've been on vacation.

(The big D is an uncomfortable conversation, but it's part of life, right?)

Live your life as if you're on vacation.

RIP JT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty