The Scouts

I definitely was a Cub Scout.

I recall going to the scout leaders house and trying to figure out how to tie knots.

I wasn't very good.

I remember the uniform and getting roundly harassed by any sibling that wasn't in a uniform at the time. John was with me through all of it and was in his own goofy uniform so it wasn't so bad, but Corinne was certainly taking pot shots and what dweebs we were.

And then we were graduated to weabols (I don't even know if that's spelled right).

That's where the journey ended...right after the soap box derby race.

I remember the motto:

Be Prepared.

Loyalty.

Love of God and Country.

Help others.

All good stuff!

I listened to the heat the organization has taken through the years...

...didn't think too much about it.

But The 45th President out the Scouts back in the news because he went out and gave an absolutely horrid speech in front of them.

It's cringe-worthy to any of us who have suffered to put on that uniform.

What drove me nuts was that those kids were wildly cheering:

USA! USA! USA!!

As he spoke about things that never made us great.

Bigly.

Sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty