Tax Time

Starting to gather the information so I can take it all down to the accountant so he can sort it all out for me.

I don't know why I get anxious about it every year, but I do.

I'm always afraid that he'll do his magic and tell me that I actually owe money, but we normally don't.

 We usually get a little bit back.

Yet still I worry.

There's been a lot of talk about taxes this year.

Rich people don't pay them because they find loopholes.

Poor people don't pay them because they don't have the money...

...so it's up to the rest of us.

Churches are tax-exempt.

20% of the Fortune 500 companies have figured out how to skip out on them, and the rest of us just don't understand the rules.

Whenever tax talk comes up there's usually a bitch session that follows.

"My taxes are ridiculous!"

"You know how much we pay in school taxes?"

"Taxes are killing us!!"

And I don't think about them until now...

...I drop everything off and wait.

My tax man is great.

He always calls on a Saturday night for some reason.

He always says the same thing:

"Are you sitting down?" He asks.

It's like the moment just before they flip the switch.

"You got a small refund on Federal and an even smaller one on state."

"Oh Thank God!"

I can't imagine what it must feel like to know that you can do whatever it takes to not have to contribute anything at all.

The tax man comes for us all through, right?

We all now know that isn't true and we don't have to provide them to run for the highest office in the land.

But for those not smart enough or not poor enough...

...we sweat it out.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie