Bad Leaders

Years ago I had a boss who led by fear and intimidation.

Joey was the lead foreman in a union crew...there were 7 of us who worked for him.

The guy never had a kind word.

He screamed, belittled and called names.

We all hated him.

When his back was turned we did whatever we could to not do what he wanted us to do.

Joey eventually got himself fired because he was nasty to his boss...which got him fired.

We all rejoiced.

Years later, I worked for another guy who made Joey look like a choir boy. This particular man was actually a millionaire who owned the entire company.

He seemed to get off on making other people miserable.

That's what drove him.

He actually didn't even seem to care about making money. He'd lose money on a deal if he could make more people suffer.

I watched that man call his secretary a "stupid son-of-a-bitch" in front of 30 people. She ran away crying. As she left the building I locked eyes with the guy.

He was smiling.

I often wonder about people trying to lead in such a manner.

I don't see how it can work.

Fear and intimidation doesn't make people want to do a good job for you.

Books are written about what it takes men to lead others.

I've been thinking a lot about leadership this week because I'm seeing the new administration trying to lead via shock, fear, defiance and nastiness.

Will it work?

I don't believe that it can because I've also seen good leadership.

I've watched it all work.

A unit works best when there is a common goal. As a leader the best thing you can do is make people feel as if their contribution is important.

Billy Martin once said that the key to managing people is to keep the ten guys who hate you away from the ten guys who love you.

Maybe that's an effective way.

After all, not everyone will love you, but I'm not sure that the very best way to do it is to get the ten who love you fighting with the ten you hate you.

All that you have then is a completed divided unit.

Perhaps that is the goal here.

A completely divided house.

In any regard...

...that's not leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie