The WHO in Buffalo

It’s hard to know what to expect when you revisit the past.

Back in 1982, I saw the WHO at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I was 17 years old.

The night before the concert, we had a great plan to stay up all night. I had a shot of Jack Daniels in the parking lot that day, but saw the show with my brother, John and our buddy Tom (among others - like Larry).

When the news broke that the band was coming to Buffalo...Tom called.

“Let’s go!”

“I’m in,” John immediately answered.

A few years back I saw the Stones again (and they were great) so I was game. I got ahold of my college buddy, Terry, and we laid out big money.

I spent the weeks leading up to the show, wondering if Roger & Pete would mail it in, or sound awful.

They did neither of those things.

The show started with obscure songs and a full orchestra. There were people around us grumbling for the hits.

I was good because I know most of their songs. I kept thinking, “They played Woodstock, and they’re still standing.”

I also had a beer with my long time buddies.

We’re all grey, and wrinkled. We don’t see each other often...

...but we comfortably slipped into our old roles and laughed a lot.

It was a great beer!

On the stage, Pete & Roger sent the orchestra away and for a few songs they played it like they did way, way, way back.

“This song is older than me,” I said at one point.

Roger grabbed the mic and said:

“I’m blind. I’m deaf. I’m tired, but we’ve made out better than some of our mates.”

Ain’t that the truth?

They played their asses off.

They smiled a lot more than they did in ‘82.

It appeared that they were out there strictly for the music, and they sounded exceptional for their advanced age.

“It was great,” Terry said. “I wasn’t sure what to expect.”

“At least tonight rock and roll was alive,” I said.

I’m glad The WHO is too.

See them if you get the chance...

...still amazing.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Obscure songs? Grumbling for the hits? The show started off with a string of 6 or 7 songs in a row off of the album Tommy which is the bands greatest piece of work and some of their most recognizable music. Glad you enjoyed yourself though.
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Not anonymous to me! But to the idiot drunk dudes next to us! I turned to my buddy and said: “I guess they came for ‘You Better, You Bet.’!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie