Twenty-Six

The other night I went to sleep at the normal time and was awakened by emergency lights flashing through my window. I texted the boys and one didn’t answer...

...so I walked down the street to make sure they were safe.

Being a parent is a lifetime job.

They’re always going to be that kid who you watched get the first little league hit, or sing in the 6th grade play, or lose their mind because the Bills lost.

“Matthew is 26 tomorrow,” Kathy said on Saturday. “That’s old.”

It’s weird is what it is!

He couldn’t read when he was beating me in a Sega basketball game. The games weren’t very high-tech then but I noticed that he was scoring with the same guy every time.

“How do you know who to shoot with?” I asked.

“His name is there.”

“But you can’t read!” I said.

That little exchange seemed like it happened two weeks ago, but it was more than 21 years ago!

And Matt works with me now...

...and what’s funny is that he has my personality more so than Kathy’s and definitely way more than Jake or Sam.

They’re chill.

Matt is grumpy and intense. He also has a strong work ethic.

He also has the distinct advantage of knowing how to go about his day without incurring my wrath...

...which other guys who’ve worked for me haven’t been able to avoid.

He does what he’s supposed to do, and he doesn’t need me to pat him on the back for doing it.

I probably should pat him on the back more because he’s turned into a fine, young man...

...but he’s 26 already!

Now, he still has his idiotic ways about him for sure.

He thinks the A’s are going to win the World Series this year, and that will be followed up by a Bills super bowl victory, which will lead directly into the Sabres winning the Stanley Cup and the Pelicans winning the NBA title.

Still a dopey bastard.

But hey, at least he isn’t walking into walls now.

Well, he might be...

...but he hasn’t mentioned it.

Happy Birthday, Matt...

...the only 55-year-old, 26-year old that you’ll ever meet...

...and a blink of an eye ago he was 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie