It Should Be Easy

Had a fine weekend.

Worked to clean up my yard, had dinner with my family, caught a movie with my beautiful wife where we actually went to a theater, played a round of golf with good friends (hit it well until I got tired and started pulling up early around 16), went to a family outing where I was served about 28 ounces of prime rib, wrote a little, relaxed a bit, and had a couple of tremendous belly laughs.

Life should be easy.

On my way to my brother Jim’s house, I used the music in my phone to set up a little contest, asking my wife which female voice was the best.

I played Natalie Maines, Jewel, Sarah, Whitney and then Barbara Streisand.

During the Streisand songs I looked over.

“It’s not really all that close, is it?” She asked.

Nope.

We weren’t trying to tackle the world’s problems.

Then I found two songs that I’ve loved for about 30 years.

“Bluer than Blue” by Michael Johnson and “I Go Crazy” by Paul Davis.

“Perfect lyrics!” I said.

Thought about writing for awhile.

When we walked through the door after the hours out, my teenage dog was waiting for me. Melky cried with happiness at just seeing me.

“Your girlfriend is all excited,” Kathy said.

The sun was shining.

I ignored the “Witch Hunt!” rants of the big, orange mess.

The Yankees won all but one game this week.

Read a little and went to sleep, knowing that I’d be awake way too early each day, but not having to jump up.

Easy.

I thought back to my old construction buddy, Zane Conway. He was a philosopher in a hard hat.

“Be a human being,” he once told me. “Most people are human doings, not human beings.”

I laughed.

“Truly,” he said. “Free of money and time constraints, what would you spend your time being? Instead of doing?”

Good old Zane.

I spent a little time being instead of doing.

Hope you did too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie