Hearty People

When I first started coming out to the Midwest I was a tad irritated.

What is there to do in Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas?

Aren’t they all a bunch of hayseeds?

Well, the answer to those questions are:

Not much and Yes.

And I like it!

Kansas City is a lot like Buffalo. It’s easy to get around and the people are friendly. I once wore my Yankees ball boy outfit to a Yankees-Royals game in the years when the Royals were one of the best teams in baseball, and the Yankees were up 9-1 in the game...

...and people were still friendly!

I talked for a bunch of innings with a whole group about Yankees-Royals in the late 70’s and we laughed a lot.

The other thing that I enjoy is that I can walk on a site here and a whole bunch of hardworking guys know me.

“Oh geez! Look who’s here!” One guy yelled when I walked in. “Still snowing in Buffalo? How much are you going to eat today?”

We all went to lunch.

They enjoy watching me eat, but one of my favorite things about midwestern folk is that they share my mindset.

“Go there,” one guy said. “They give you way too much food!”

I went.

It was true.

They work hard here.

They talk about fishing and farming and football and guns.

They also seem to see through bullsh*t. Trump popped up one on of the screens behind us.

“What lies is he telling today?” One guy said.

I was careful not to answer.

You never know and don’t want to banter about politics.

They DO have guns.

“Let’s eat,” I said.

They were good with that.

My kind of people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie