Down In the Dumps

The new Springsteen song begins with:

“Had enough of heartbreak and pain. I had a little sweet spot for the rain. For the rain and skies of grey. Hello, sunshine, won’t you stay?”

A very universal type appeal because we’ve all been there.

Sometimes it’s as easy as saying,

“I’m going to be happy today.”

Sometimes that doesn’t work.

The sunshine does help, but there have been days when I wished it were raining.

I know a few guys who are always happy and smiling. One of my good friends lifts me up every time I see him because he smiles, makes me laugh, and is genuinely upbeat.

All the time!

I’ll call your text him just to get that sunshine.

Unfortunately, I also know a lot of people who have a sweet spot for the rain.

“Dude, you’re like Eyore,” I told one guy. “Live it up!”

I’m certainly somewhere in the middle. I set an ambitious plan for each day, and my happiness is contingent on accomplishing what I need to do.

“We have to get the carpet out of the garage, get the weeds taken care of, and next week you need to get to grandma’s to help with the lawn,” I told Sam.

“Dude, relax,” he said. “I’ve only been awake for 6 minutes.”

Yet, that’s where my sunshine comes from.

On Saturday morning, I had most of my work commitments taken care of, but I also had a couple of hours before I would see any members of my family.

I shot out of bed because I had a couple of new chapters to write for the next book, which will be called ‘Small Town.’

I had a coffee, dogs snoring beside me, Mark Knopfler CD playing in the background, and I typed and typed.

Perfect.

My definition of happiness right there.

Writing new stuff has been my go-to slump-buster move since I was about 10 years old.

Yet, down in the dumps is a lot more dangerous for a lot of people.

Springsteen, who is begging for the sunshine to stay, wrote a lot about his depression.

He’s universally loved, has a half-a-billion in the bank, a nice family...

...and he’s down?

That’s how it works.

The same for all of us.

Horrifically devastating for some, and I imagine that even my buddy, who is seemingly always upbeat, has his moments.

Find that sweet spot.

Choose happy.

Not that easy, but rooting for the sunshine is better than giving in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie