All In the Family/Jefferson’s

I watched the live presentation of the two iconic Norman Lear shows that I watched just about every episode of back in the 1970’s.

It was really well done and I enjoyed the way some of the fine actors like Jamie Foxx and Will Ferrell and one of my personal favorites, Woody Harrelson, imitated the mannerisms of the great characters.

And during the shows they kept playing clips of Farrah Fawcett and the old game show Press Your Luck.

I felt like I was back in high school.

As I was watching I thought about how life used to be;

On Sunday nights we were all in one room.

One show after another.

Dad controlled the remote.

What was funny was that it was family time, and as I watched The Jefferson’s on Wednesday night, I thought of a phone call I got in the middle of one of the episodes.

“I’ll go to the prom with you.”

It was a scene that I can recall from early 1982.

We were watching the show and the phone rang. Dad answered it.

“He can’t talk right now.”

I grabbed the phone.

“Dad!”

He announced who I was talking to.

The call was short:

“I’ll go to the prom with you.”

“That’s great,” I said.

I looked up and noticed that my Dad, Mom, brothers and sisters were all looking at me.

It’s so funny what triggers a memory.

Just the episode of The Jefferson’s brought to life.

It also brought back all the feelings of laughing at shows with Dad.

Barney Miller, Sanford & Son, Columbo...

...there isn’t television watching like that going on anymore.

We binge watch shows.

Chances are the boys already watched them.

Back in the day, you couldn’t miss them or you wouldn’t catch the episode until there was a repeat.

I don’t know if All in the Family and The Jefferson’s would survive these days...

...I’m waiting to see if there will be blowback because of the ethnic jokes.

Probably so.

It was already a hit because it brought back a memory of senior prom...

...and the epic teasing I took from my family.

Good times.

Good times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie