A High School Graduate


Congrats to Matt, the ceremony is over and you are officially a high school graduate.

A few thoughts collected while waiting, and waiting, and waiting for his name to be called so he could march across the stage in a three-second sprint, shake a few hands and walk back down the steps.

1). I wonder how the Yanks are doing?

2). The Valedictorian has a 99.34 average. Who's the asshole teacher that spoiled the perfect score? She probably got an A- in Gym.

3). God there are a lot of strange names. I counted two Knoops and a Koop. They could form a band.

4). I wonder how the Yanks are doing?

5). Don't the teachers and students who sound so excited about joining the "real world" understand that the big opportunity over the next four years may be getting a hunk of free government cheese?

6). Why were plaid green pants invented? The guy sitting a few rows down is wearing a pair. "Would you ever wear those?" my mother-in-law asked. "Not even to bed," I answered. I wonder if he was trying to look like a dork on purpose.

7). Chasing dreams, cherishing friends, thanking teachers...ahh the love...they keep talking about opportunities and eternal happiness. 330 kids: Are they all heading out to win the Nobel prize? Aren't some of them heading to Target or a life of crime?

8). "I wonder what the valedictorian will do with her life," I asked.
"She'll be knocked up inside three years," my mother-in-law said.

That's the real world.

9). I wonder how the Yanks are doing?

10). There he is on the stage. Wow! It's a real short walk, but a lot fills my head. He can chase those dreams. I am proud of him. Good kid. How are the Yanks doing?

All of those thoughts and more.

My beautiful wife had tears in her eyes earlier. It wasn't off the question when she asked me if I had made any great mistakes in life.

"Just one and it was a doozy," I said.

She caught on quick and we laughed hard.

On a day when sadness enveloped my heart, a little life came shining through.

Congrats! One down, two to go!

"What do you think he'll be doing in 10 years?" Kathy asked.

"Lying on my couch, wondering what I'm making for dinner," I said.

Either way.

That's fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty