A Day Off

I took what can best described as a mental health day today. It's funny but when I showed my boss the day planner with the note in it, he glanced at the words 'mental health' and smiled.

"One day won't help," he said.

But it did help. I hung out with the boys all day. We went to lunch and a movie and then played a game of H-O-R-S-E in the driveway. Jake actually won, but it was good to get Sam out of the game quickly with his trash-talking and all.

And the day off sort of got me thinking about people that can't seem to retire when the time comes. A couple of old baseball managers came back this week - Jack McKeon took the job in Florida, and Davy Johnson took the job in Washington. McKeon is 80 and Johnson is pushing 70.

I gotta' tell you. When it is feasible to go, I won't have a lot of trouble stepping down. Of course that is off in the distance, but I know how quickly time flies and before long...

I'm not saying that I'm ready now, by any means. But if all the money in the world was available I imagine that I could fill my days up somehow.

I love golf. I love writing. I used to be a great drinker. There are movies, I have all the Soprano discs, baseball, baseball and more baseball.

Yet some people never truly adjust to the quiet days. My grandfather went down hill fast after he retired. My Dad was always looking to get back in the game somehow.

But 80 years old!

Of course, when I look back on my day, it doesn't seem like I relaxed all that much. I ran errands, mowed the lawn, did the laundry, cooked dinner and did the dishes. The hours sort of flew by...

...mentally healthy?

Not by a long shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie