Bah!

I really missed my Dad yesterday. Sure it was Father's Day and I was supposed to think of him, but it's not that I don't think of him a lot anyway. It just kept hitting me that there was something that I was supposed to do, but that I couldn't do it.

I heard Chris Rock talking about fathers. He said that fathers get the short end of the stick as they are not thanked for half the stuff that mothers are. In his comedy routine Rock says, "Thank you, Daddy, it sure is good to eat. Thank you, Daddy, it's a lot easier to read with all these lights."

And I suppose that is where some of the angst comes in. Dad's just sort of blend in, and good Dad's do it without expecting much in return, so they are easy to ignore.

Except when you really want to see them and they aren't there.

I didn't ignore my Dad. I couldn't have if I wanted to. Dad was always the center piece of every single room he was in. Thankfully I was able to watch him work as an adult and I certainly marveled at the way he commanded attention on the jobs as well.

Obviously I was blessed to have my Dad as a central figure in my life. In these days of busted up marriages and fleeting relationships there are a lot of kids who will never have such a relationship with their Dad.

And that's a shame.

But I wasn't feeling fortunate yesterday.

BAH!

I miss my Dad.

Comments

Larry L said…
I know exactly how you feel

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie