'Till Death Do You Part

The New York Post is running an article this afternoon about a wedding that was busted up in Pakistan. The groom was 7 years old and the bride was 5. Talk about a death sentence.

First of all, it's a horrible article for the simple reason that the parents of the children hooked them up in order to solve a long-running feud between the two families. The wedding would have went off too, but someone alerted the authorities and stopped the nuptials.

Yet think of the horror! Can you imagine having been married at the age of 7? That's about at the peak of the "I hate girls period". We used to walk around with our thumbs up in the air. If your thumbs were down someone could touch you and say, "girls germs." I stopped playing that game about three years ago.

Seriously, my boys are now in the middle of their "girls are weird" stage. I've tried to teach them to respect girls and women and to appreciate the fairer sex. When they argue with me I let them know that they don't quite have all the information yet.

So how does that young couple have all the information? What might they have done on their honeymoon? Would they ride off into the sunset after the ceremony on their big wheels?

Plus think of the true horror - by the time she turned twenty she would've already been married for 15 years. I don't care if you're in Pakistan or Buffalo - that's a long freaking time. Celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary at 55? A grandmother at about 23?

The photo that accompanied the article showed the authorities holding the not-so-happy couple. The boy was staring off into space as if he were absolutely disinterested and the girl was crying uncontrollably.

I was saddened by the photo, but it got me thinking, perhaps in the aborted ceremony they got close enough to marriage to feel the full effects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty