Cold Medicines Suck

It's about time someone said it - there is absolutely nothing that really dulls the symptoms of the common cold. I have a doozy of a cold right now and it just shouldn't be happening to me. I just had the ankle problem - doesn't God have someone else He could've picked on? He could've given me a week out of the barrel.

And yet, I know people are suffering with a lot worse and a cold is just a cold - roll with it, suck it up and tough it out (although I'm getting weary of hearing that from the wife and kids - wish I'd never brought it up).

Anyway the point of this blog is that the cold medicine that you buy over-the-counter isn't worth the box it comes in. I end up really doing a number on myself because I want to just feel better and I'll mix and match all kinds of crap to try and get a balance. Not a great idea, either.

One other thing, I have noticed is that when I don't feel well, I go out of my way to let everyone and their brother know it. I always feel like calling up my mother because I know she'll feel bad for me, but I refrain from doing so because, well, I'm 44 and the self-proclaimed strongest man in the world, and I probably shouldn't be saying, "Mommy, I don't feel well."

So, what have I taken today? Aspirin on 3 separate occasions, Tylenol Cold, Day-Quil and those little red pills that are supposed to break up the congestion. Is that too much? I didn't take them all at once, mind you, and I'm not having convulsions - in fact - they don't seem to be having any effect at all.

Perhaps that's the problem - maybe my superior strength is making me immune to the mere drugs of modern man.

Anyway, I always liked the Vapo-Rub on the chest and under the nose. I sleep with that, under my new electric blanket with a tee-shirt on. That helps me to sweat out the cold.

Last night, I very carefully asked my wife if she'd put the Vapo-Rub on my chest. (Another thing the world's strongest man probably shouldn't ask for help with).

"Yeah, keep dreaming," she said.

It wasn't much fun rubbing it on myself - and it didn't work either.

Time for more medicine!

Comments

deafjeff said…
You didn't even try the ol' "Ah come on, I'd do it for you" line?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie