Sarah-Mania




I'm trying to think of the last time there was a candidate that commanded so much interest. From the Tina Fey dead-on impressions through the shopping gate and travel gate questions associated with her family ties, it is hard to ignore that Sarah Palin is like a hurricane blowing through.

Why? Because she's good-looking? Because she's folksy? Because we know all of the intimate details of her family?

I don't know - but I must say that I read every article about her, and I am certainly drawn to her speeches and to Tina Fey who deserves an award for her impression - watch that and not laugh - even Sarah laughed at it last week when she joined SNL.

Yet this is just me - I don't get it. I can't see her as the president of the country. Not now, not in 4 years, not in 16. I'm not being bigoted or sexist - I just can't imagine it. Perhaps it is all because of the preconceived notions that we have for our leaders - that they be Ivy-leagued schooled or middle-aged white men. I sort of had the same problem with Hiliary - when she started yelling I felt as if I were back in grade school and the nun was chasing me with a ruler, or when I pissed off my mother and she gritted her teeth and told me to sit under the counter until my father got home. I remember never really being afraid, but when that door opened and mom spilled the beans to my father, I got real nervous.

Sarah Palin has become a rock star - and perhaps that is what the GOP was going for -yet she can also be a polarizing figure for many. After the tenth wink during the VP debate I thought I might throw up. Yet I have a sister who absolutely adores her as the greatest political force in history.

Can she be the leader of the free world? Ever? I don't know. Yet deep down, I do understand that she'd be better than who we had sitting in that chair for the past eight years - and he was a straight-d student from Yale.

Comments

Not this sister...
deafjeff said…
I was talking to the other sister, It seems to be like mind control or something. I'm thinking it's the glasses and updo. No other explantion.
CorLeone said…
"....who absolutely adores her as the greatest political force in history...."
Not this sister either! Is there another sister in our family?
Though I must say, if you have to keep saying you're not sexist, who are trying to convince??

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty