Human Wheels - Post #300

I've been writing this blog - religiously - for the past 11 months. I started doing it because it was a free way of writing, and there were certainly no constraints on my style. I will continue to do it for the same reason. It's a lot of fun to write completely in the mood. If I want to be funny, I give that a go. If I want to be serious, I have at it. If I want to voice my opinion, I do it, because it keeps my wife from having to hear it every second of the day.

Yet, there is more to it, I suppose. I've always been a compassionate type of person and as I noticed that I was at blog 300 - a nice round number - I tried to capture what the real reason is behind my having to be heard. Maybe it's because I had a bunch of siblings and we were all encouraged to be vocal. Perhaps its because I've had a lot of friends over the years who've enjoyed what I've written. Maybe I just want a new, wider audience.

Anyway, I certainly will try and remain compassionate as I write. I feel that compassion is my connection to the divine, and if I lose it, I'll have lost the very reason for writing. With that in mind I thought of a Mellencamp song that I love - one that shows a connection between human frailty and the search for the divine intervention of something more.

Human Wheels - John MellencampThis land today, shall draw its last breath and take into its ancient depths
this frail reminder of its giant dreaming self.

While I, with human-hindered eyes, unequal to the sweeping curve of life, stand on this single print of time.

Human wheels spin round and round while the clock keeps the pace.
Human wheels spin round and round, help the light to my face.

That time, today, no triumph gains at this short success of age.
This pale reflection of its brave and blundering deed
For I descend from this vault.
Now dreams beyond my earthly fault
knowledge, sure, from the seed.

Human wheels spin round and round while the clock keeps the pace.
Human wheels spin round and round, help the light to my face.

This land today, my tears shall taste and take into its dark embrace
This love, who in my beating heart endures, assured by every sun that burns.
The dust to which this flesh shall return
it is the ancient, dreaming dust of God.

Human wheels spin round and round while the clock keeps the pace.
Human wheels spin round and round, help the light to my face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty