Mary Kate & Ashley

These twin bitches had a book signing at Barnes & Noble in NYC last night. Prior to signing book one they told their potential customers that there were rules to be followed:

1). No photos
2). Don't talk to either of the twins
3). Don't ask questions
4). They will not sign anything other than the book.

As luck might have it - I had a book signing at Barnes & Noble this week too. Here was my rule:

1). Please stop and talk to me.

Now I doubt my line was as long, but I guarantee you one thing - I got more out of my signing. As I showed up there was a woman waiting for me at the table.

"I'll take all three of your books from this year," she said.
"Do I know you?" I joked.
"No, I just love your books," she said.

We talked for a few minutes about each book. We discussed what was happening in her life, and I signed something witty in each copy, and shook her hand. I could have left right then and there.

For the next two hours, I shook hands and swapped stories with a number of people who didn't know me from the guy who stocked the shelves. I sold a bunch of books and even bought a couple of new fiction items for myself.

The wonderful host at the store had to explain who and where I was at least three times. I raised my hand above my head to acknowledge the people in the store each and every time.

I have never cared about selling even one book - but I show up in the odd event that someone would like to speak about writing, or their dog, or the horse they road in on.

Someone needs to slap the shit out of the Olsen twins - okay, maybe that's a bit rough, but having rules for the people who want to meet you?

Give me a break.

I bet the book sucks too.

To Mary Kate and Ashley ---- you and the horse you rode in on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie