Oh the Humanity!

Two of the last three nights I've been excused from watching the big television. The boys got the wrestling pay-per-view on Sunday night and last night Matt needed the big tv to watch the UB Bulls. I was relegated to my room - which ain't so bad, all things considered.

Yet there were 57 channels with nothing on and I was just flipping through when I saw a documentary on the Hindenburg explosion. I didn't know all that much about it -so I watched.

It was just 1937 and this massive thing was flying through the sky with a virtual dog and pony show to greet it as it landed. For those of you who know the story - it basically exploded.

In this day and age, my mind was on how many people died. Unfortunately, it is the information by the minute society that we live in - 36 people lost their lives - not a big deal by today's standards.

Yet what got me was the voice of the announcer who was charged with bringing the big ship in - I'm thinking Bob Costas or Al Michaels in this day and age - but the announcer (who's name escapes me) was actually crying on air as the ship burst into flames. "Oh the humanity," he cried.

Perhaps we've grown used to catastrophes. Maybe we should be above announcing something in such a truly human way, but if you ever get to hear his words, they are guaranteed to hit your heart.

I remember watching the coverage for 9/11 and worrying and wondering about all of the poor people who lost their lives - after watching the Hindenburg explosion - I sort of wonder why no one cried out - "Oh the humanity!"

Instead there was anger and the understandable rage. To this day, I wonder about how much was done to remember the victims.

65 or so people who were in the Hindenburg when it crashed were pulled to safety by people on the ground who kept going in and out to save the lives of the people they didn't know.

Like those firemen who went up the stairs and into the fire - "Oh the humanity!" Can be ued to describe them too.

See what I watch when you send me to my room early?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie