Oh Thank God

I've been waiting on pins and needles, praying that Exxon Mobil wasn't affected with the poor economy that has been plaguing the rest of the world. Imagine my joy when I opened up the paper today to see that they made $14.83 billion last quarter.

Are you freaking kidding me?

I guess I just don't understand. I guess that it is the same thing as me begrudging the mortgage broker his $414,000 seats at the Jets game. Or A-Rod making about a hundred grand per at-bat.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that we are paid by who we entertain, or who we hold over the barrel. I guess that the system that forgets those at the bottom or those muddling along in middle class is the only system that truly works. Was this the grand plan?

I don't believe that the wealth should be shared by those who are not willing to pull their own weight. There I said it - so much for my bleeding heart reputation.

I don't believe in free lunches if you're capable of earning a living.

Every time I'm in Syracuse I pass by the panhandlers standing on the corner at Teall Avenue. The old me would have stopped the car and emptied the change out of my pocket. The new me passes by looking at the shoes of the beggar and thinking - "Shit, he's wearing Nike's."

Yet that's not to say that I don't have pity on the woman who is working three jobs to take care of her kids because her husband walked out. She should be afforded a chance at a better life. Her kids should have a chance to go to school.

For Obama or against him - his infomercial conjured up images of an America that seems to be gone. The black and white photos of children being pushed on a swing, or kids playing in their front yards.

That America still exists, doesn't it?

It isn't all about record profits, and racketerring and overpaid entertainers, is it?

No matter the outcome of the election, we need to get back to what made the country great - and what made us great has always been the people who live here.

We can get there - but like Bruce said on his last album - "It's going to be a long walk home."

Comments

deafjeff said…
Any man under 30 who is not liberal has no heart. Any man over 30 who is not conservative, has no brain. I forget the author, you are the quote master.
Rosie said…
you're scaring me. I think you're actually making sense. I don't buy into the "pushing the kids on the swing" vision but people are hurting and not much has been trickelling down after all the corruption and greed of a few takes place. You should send this to every newspaper in counrty Regardless of the presidential outcome this country needs to rally, stop bickering, and move forward by working together. Our politicians aren't going to lead us there, we the people need to. So what if my guy doesn't win. The country needs to be fixed now before we fall and all need to learn chinese.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie