Nappy-Nap

When I was a kid, and on into my teen years for all that matters, my brothers and I would sneak down to Grandma's house just before lunch. We'd make sure that we were there at least 1/2 hour early so she would boil enough pasta for all of us.

Then we'd sit with grandpa and we'd share lunch with them. Those meals were some of the best ever, and not only because Grandma was a first-rate chef.

Yet we understood that we were leaving right after we ate because as my grandfather liked to say - "The office closes from 1 to 3."

John Mellencamp when asked why he started playing in a rock and roll band said that he just wanted to get a nap every day. He's certainly now in a financial position to make it work.

I'm not - but I do realize what Grandpa and Mellencamp were chasing. Around here the office closes down at 1 PM on weekends. It was a habit that started when the kids were young and it was impossible to sleep past six am. We put the kids down as close to 1 as we could and then caught a couple of hours of rest.

Of course, the kids are older and they no longer nap. Yet Kathy and I have stuck to the schedule. We rarely sleep past seven, but God help us if we don't nap. We even use the same language as when they were babies - "It's time for nappy-nap."

I actually nap better than I sleep at night. It's funny how it works. Lunch and then off to sleep.

My Grandmother and Grandfather must be proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie