Blood Brothers

A couple of months back my father called with some bad news - his best friend through the years had died of cancer - and Dad was certainly upset. "I was friends with him for over 50 years," he said. "Can you imagine having a great friend for that long?"

I keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother.

Of course that's a Bruce line and one I think of each and every time I consider the great buddies who've shared my life with me. I'm not going anywhere and neither are they - so I figure I will get 50 years in with each of them. Hell, Al and John have been friends for almost 40 years already!

Yet I had good friends on my mind all day today because I called my buddy Jeff to wish him a happy birthday, and it blew my mind that he's 45 freaking years old! In three days I'll celebrate my birthday and we always laugh about the fact that I used to give him a present and he'd return it to me three days later. (The same gift!) I quickly learned to buy myself something that I wanted, gave it to him, and received it right back. He's the kind of friend who never once considered keeping it.

It got me to thinking that I've had college friends for 25 years - recently we've tried to get together in NYC and I've been the one holding us back. Not because it wouldn't be the greatest weekend of the year, but because like Bruce said in the song, There's work to do and bills to pay.

To all my blood brothers - keep moving through the dark. Happy birthday, Jeffy.

Comments

John said…
You are all the brothers I never had.
ChefJeff said…
Thats allright John you still have your sisters to do your pigtails
John said…
and with just enough hair left to do it too! jealous?

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie