Not Quite There

We’re a half dozen rounds into the golf season and I’ve been pretty consistent. My highest score of the year is only 7 strokes above my lowest score.

I’ve been hitting the ball pretty consistently, but have been making stupid mistakes in each round. Some times from one hole to the next.

And there is so much in play. It kind of mirrors life a bit.

Golf is always more than just chasing a ball around a field. 

How does it pertain?

1). Be Prepared.

I try and stretch to get ready. I also use visualization as a technique and often envision the first drive of the day.

Problem being, I’m truly struggling off the first tee!

My swing is lousy when I get too fast through the swing zone and despite the fact that I try to remain under control it appears that I’m over anxious and I’ve been yanking that first shot to the left.

2). Be Confident

Golf is an extreme mental sport. ‘If you think you stink’ has been a rallying cry in our foursome. So, I have plenty of solo conferences throughout a round.

130 in from the rough? 

“I can do this.”

7-foot putt.

“I’m going to make this.”

It doesn’t always work, but I play better when I’m not degrading myself in my own mind.

3). Concentrate!

This is a hard one.

It’s so hard to stay in the game. I’m playing with good friends who don’t talk much all week long. We are genuinely happy to finally arrive at the course. As we play, we don’t chatter much, but the topics of the week sneak in, and sometimes I find that I lose my way. The frustrating part is that it doesn’t just snap in and out. 

Yesterday I had good focusing skills on the front 9. We only stopped for a second but something changed. It took me a few holes to get the process back.

4). Be A Good Teammate

I hate watching the guys I play with struggling with their game. Golf is simply a game that we play on our own. Scores don’t much matter to us, but there comes a moment in every round where one of us goes into the tank.

Last week one guy was horrific with the pitching iron in his hands. It got to the point where I was rooting for him to stick the green so he didn’t have to chip again.

I played with a guy once who spent five holes not being able to get the ball in the air.

“What am I doing wrong?” He asked me at the start of the 6th hole.

“I think you might be left-handed,” I said.

I’m a more gracious teammate now.

5). Enjoy Nature

At least 4 or 5 times a round I will take a deep breath, and then a good look around.

No matter how I’m playing I’m mindful of the fact that I’m outside, with the sun on my face, not thinking of much other than what club I need to make the next shot.

So, I look around at the beauty of the course.

Like life?

Look at my synopsis:

Be prepared.

Be Confident.

Concentrate.

Be a Good Teammate.

Enjoy Nature.

It certainly works on the course and in life.

Problem being:

Sometimes you end up in the tank, flailing to keep your head above the water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie