Complete Day Off

People in the business world are big on preaching work-life balance and for most of my working life I’ve struggled to get it right.

I feel weird when I’m not working on a perfectly good work day and around Camp Clifford there is always work to be done when you’re the camp counselor.

We saw the weather report for Sunday so we golfed on Saturday and I visited with Mom after the round, so I woke up thinking;

“I don’t have anything to do.”

The. I thought:

“And I’m gonna’ do absolutely nothing today.”

We watched a few shows.

Played with the dogs and the cat.

I did make breakfast and dinner and did cleanup a little, but by 6:00 the car hadn’t moved, and some of the pain in my body was subsiding.

I used the massage gun on my shoulder, back and neck.

I only napped for about ten minutes, but I seriously had no energy all day.

Then:

I had to move the car.

The dogs simply wouldn’t let me get away with not having bones in the house.

I made it to the Dollar Store and stood in line as  brand new cashier tried to figure out how to get the drawer open.

“Sorry, I’m brand new,” he said.

“I’m fairly old,” I said. “Don’t worry about it.”

An anxious woman came over and helped. She looked thoroughly aggravated, and in a condescending tone she went through the procedure again.

Mr. Brand New nodded along.

The woman walked away and the kid rang up the dog bones. He announced the total as $14.33.

I handed him a twenty and he said:

“Oh no. We got a few counterfeit bills and we have to check each $20. I don’t know how to do that.”

He called for the impatient woman over the loudspeaker and I heard her audibly groan.

“Dude, if I can print twenties I won’t be shopping here,” I said.

He laughed.

The woman came back, held the bill to the light and hit it with a pen.

“It’s good.”

She left again.

The kid stood there staring. The register didn’t seem equipped to tell him how much change I got back.

“Five dollars and sixty-seven cents,” I said.

He nodded.

Ten minutes later, I was back in the couch and the dogs were working on the bones.

I’d completed one task. Talked to one person who didn’t have the same last name as me.

It was exhausting.

It’s good to have some down time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie