Memorial Day

Gabe Kapler is the manager of the San Francisco Giants. He spoke, at length, about his new policy of not coming out of the clubhouse to stand at attention for the National Anthem.

Kapler explained why he was offering up his silent protest because he did not want anyone to think that he was disrespecting the troops or those who fought and died for this country.

He explained that he believed that sensible gun laws needed to be passed and that he was ashamed of the fact that there are mass shootings every week.

A reasonable and thought-out response that was immediately attacked by those who want something to rage about.

I thought of that as I considered the Memorial Day Celebrations set for today.

I have images in my mind of heroic men and women who fought for our freedom back in the world wars.

We were certainly taught to look on in reverence and I always have, and that will never change. Those people gave up their lives for freedom.

Yet, in the last 6 years, the fanciful images of life here in America has taken a true beating in my heart and mind.

And that’s heartbreaking.

We have lost our way.

Minorities, gays, women are all being treated as second-class citizens.

The prosperity that was always promised to any citizen who was willing to work hard is more a pipe dream as the rich overeat at the buffet table.

People who are working very, very hard aren’t on a path to riches. Instead they’re barely surviving.

And then there is the rage and the divide. A portion of the population is constantly raging. In fact, most of the country is in absolute turmoil.

My side against your side.

When most Americans want the same things out of life:

A way to make sure that their children have a shot at a good life, and happiness.

People just want to live free and be happy.

And it’s the children part that brings me back to Kapler and his protest.

Children being murdered while sitting in a classroom.

All attempts to solve this tragedy are stifled by about 50 people in government who are being paid to look the other way.

Hard to stand with your hand over your heart and sing along with the promises that the anthem makes.

I get his protest.

I respect the fact that he can voice it because we are still free.

I’m concerned that I may be around to see those sorts of freedoms taken away.

Truly worried about that happening.

A close friend of mine sent me a text the other day because she was so overwhelmed with grief following the Texas School Massacre.

“I won’t raise an American flag,” she said. “First time in my life that I won’t have a flag flying high.”

“I get it,” I confessed.

“I’m ashamed,” she said. “But worst of all, they stole the flag from all of us.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“The fake patriots raise the flag and preach about it, but it’s just a piece of cloth if you don’t understand the principles that it stands for. The flag is for all of us. We are all aboard this train. Blacks, gays, women….”

Her text faded away.

“And I’m worried that if I fly the flag that people passing by will think that I’m all for the discrimination, the lies and the murders.”

I do get that.

It feels uncomfortable to even say that on Memorial Day, but that’s where we are.

And we need to travel a long way to get back to what once made this country great.

Celebrate the men and women who sacrificed for the rights of ALL.

Pray that we can find a way to be as courageous as they were.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie