The Hammer

Felt a clear twinge of sadness when I heard that Henry Aaron passed away.

Henry was the first baseball player I ever idolized. He was behind only Wilt as the first athlete ever, and like Wilt, he was larger than life to a 9-year-old boy.

I tell this story a lot because it’s part of the man I’ve become.

I wanted to buy a book about Henry Aaron as he chased down Babe Ruth.

The book was a biography, “Hammerin’ Hank”. 

I had to have it!

Problem was that it was $4.00 and it was in a shop in Largo, Florida. I had to save the money to get it, and it took almost a month.

But finally! I had the cabbage needed.

Mom drove me down to the shop and I grabbed the book and ran to the counter.

Largo, Florida - 1974.

The man behind the counter asked my mother a pointed question.

“Why are you letting your kid by a book about a n*****er?”

I had never heard that word before and I was confused as to why it angered my mother so much. I’d also never heard her utter the word that she responded with.

“Put the book in the bag,” she said, “and if you ever say that f****ng word in front of my kid again.”

Mom’s voice trailed off.

She was hot! 🥵 

As Bonds “broke” the record for the all-time home runs, I was very defensive about it.

Bonds cheated.

Hammerin’ Hank is the King.

He was a great player...

...but I read that book a bunch of times...

...still have it!

RIP to one of the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie