Championship Games

The first text came in around 9:30 last night. It was from Sam.

“It won’t be easy,” he wrote, “but the Bills can win next week.”

I laughed.

“Dude, it’s going to be your every thought for the entire week.”

“I know!” He said.

Jake was next.

“Can you imagine the Bills against Tampa? Who will you root for?”

“Brady has already had a great year,” I said. “He doesn’t need another ring.”

The text exchange with Jake went on for awhile.

I’m pretty sure there will be plenty more.

I watched most of two of the games, and checked in on the other two.

The sport is maddening to me in that it is reffed differently from game to game. In some games, there are zero penalties. In others, a hand check is a 38-yard pass interference.

None of the announcers, or former refs know what is a catch or a fumble.

But here we are and I think that the 4 best teams are there.

All the quarterbacks are good.

All the coaches are good.

The stories are good...

...and the Bills are there.

“You know what’s tough about this,” I said. 

“What’s that?” Kathy asked.

“Now it’s heartbreak time,” I said. “The three fan bases who lose will have a ton of heartbroken fans because they all believe they will win.”

“I don’t care about the people in Kansas City or Tampa or Green Bay,” Kathy said. “We don’t need any more heartbreak.”

That’s true enough.

By mid-week my kids will lose their minds. 

I pray that the refs don’t cost them a trip to the super bowl.

That might happen.

We’ll know more in 6 days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie