The Greatest

I wasn’t a Michael Jordan fan in the 1990’s.

Back then I would argue anyone that Bird was a better shooter, better passer and better rebounder.

And he was so popular and won so much...

...I didn’t like him.

In fact, I held a grudge. I wouldn’t even watch “The Last Dance” when it was originally on.

“Wilt was the greatest. Or Bird was the best.”

Anyone but Mike.

Kathy actually wanted to watch it.

“All right, but I’m telling you, I don’t like him.”

We haven’t finished it yet...

...but I like him now.

His drive was simply incredible. His ability to focus. His leadership. 

I now admire all of it.

And he seems to be a decent man.

I fell for all of the media stories. The gambling. The death of his Dad. 

Those stories were well-documented and none of them painted Jordan in a great light.

I ate all of it up back then.

I kind of regret it now. I wish I would’ve enjoyed it a little instead of constantly rooting against him.

I wish I could’ve seen him play in person.

In any regard, a lot of what I believe is what I see in him.

Try and be the best.

No matter what you do...

...lead the league in doing it.

And now there’s the debate.

Is LeBron as great as Jordan?

I know the answer:

No.

And the difference is in that unbelievable drive to be the best.

If they played one another at their best, both in their prime, Jordan would win. 

Somehow.

It reminds me of the story of Billy Martin and Reggie Jackson nearly coming to blows in the dugout.

“You want to fight me?” Reggie asks. “I’ll kill you!”

“You want to win the fight you’re going to have to,” Billy answered.

And it’s that kind of thing.

Jordan would find a way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie