I Drank A Grape Soda

Life can grind you down.

There are a lot of days when you feel like you’re doing things that you don’t want to do for people you may not even particularly like.

Too much of it and you’re on the search for a way to bring a little excitement back into your days. Usually that excitement can be in the form of things that allow you to self-destruct.

I’ve always had to travel a bit for work. The act of traveling sucks - it’s tiring. Yet, I’ve always felt refreshed, mentally, after a couple days away because I’m usually spending a lot of time in my own head, and I’m good at talking myself into being positive about all sorts of things.

The road doesn’t hide much though because no matter how hard you try, you can’t outrun yourself.

So, there I was, driving through Kansas, looking for cattle and the cowboys who chase it around. Every look around has a red, or brown hue to it, and there ain’t much there. Heard a news item about “food deserts” in the area...

...there are no stores where people might find food.

Odd way to go about living.

I stopped in El Dorado - I always seem to. I like the town name - reminds me of Bonanza.

Went into a convenient store that was a little different. They had unique items compared to the franchise convenience stores.

I don’t drink much pop.

Maybe 3 a year, but I saw the glass bottle of grape soda.

Wondered how long it might’ve been since I had one.

Fifty years?

I grabbed it, ignoring the sugar overload.

It was good.

Reminded me of being a kid.

Thought about that for a long stretch of miles.

That was fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie