Let’s Go Buffalo

I was surprised that the Bills played as poorly as they did on Saturday.

And that’s a weird thing to say because they won a playoff game for the first time since 1995.

They spent the last 3 or 4 games going through NFL defenses like they weren’t even there.

Decided to switch things up, I guess.

So they could allow their fans to suffer heart attacks.

The usual garbage NFL product was on full display through most of the second half. Instant replay reviews. Was he in or out? Was it a catch or a fumble.

“What do you think?” My beautiful wife asked. 

“How the hell do I know? I’ve only been watching the sport for 50 years. How could I know the rules in that short of time?”

There were four plays that stood out:

1). One of the guys jumped offsides when the Bills were trying to draw him off sides. Everyone in the stadium and every single person watching knew that the ball wasn’t going to be snapped.

Except for one guy who raced across the line, gleefully leaping at his chance to attack Allen who was pointing at him and laughing.

That cost the Colts 4 points.

2). The Colts field goal kicker was sporting glasses. They must have fogged up because he hit the huge yellow pole from 33 yards away. 

That cost the Colts 3 more.

3). The Bills were in good shape, but on 2nd and 10 Allen dropped back to pass. And he dropped and he dropped and he dropped. He was hit a couple of times and then he fumbled. He was fortunate that one of his teammates covered the loose ball. They didn’t convert the 3rd and 33.

When he drops back and keeps going the wrong way I’m often reminded at my days as quarterback. 

I only played the position in our backyard. For some reason, I always figured I was the Q.B., because I made up for my lack of speed and noodle arm with a tremendous ability to run backwards away from the guy who was chasing me. Then I’d fumble or throw a floater that was picked and returned.

Bills got lucky.

4). The fumble

The Colts were making progress towards ripping the heart out of an entire city. 

We were pretty sure they were going to lose here at Camp Clifford.

Rivers completed a pass to a wide receiver who went down to catch it. He then stood up and tried to advance the ball, which was knocked loose.

The Bills recovered!

Game over!!

Except it went to replay, and of course, the NFL replay got it wrong.

“They’re done,” I announced, thinking about 25 years of losing.

“I’m not even watching,” Kathy said.

I thought about the boys and how sad they would be. I hoped that somehow the Bills could break the 25-year curse.

Two plays later, it was over.

On to next week.

BILLieve, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie