Signing Books

My cousin, Kristin teaches college courses at Erie Community College.

Over the last few years, she’s used my book, “Dogs On Main Street” as the course book so that her students can evaluate the psychological problems that my characters, Joseph, Adam, Mary, Layla and Rolando have.

There’s plenty there!

The first line in the book, as one student pointed out is:

“It was time to get another shitty year started.”

Of course, one can argue that my characters psychological problems are actually my problems, as one student imagined. I made reference to my real life marriage and he said:

“Excuse me, Joseph, I thought you were married to Rachel.”

I said:

“It’s a book! It’s made up!!”

“Oh,” he said. “I thought it was true.”

There was exceptional fun to be had in each class.

“I don’t read anything! Ever!!” One older, black woman said, “and I’ve never heard of Bruce Springsteen, but man, I read this in two days. I laughed so hard. You’re a funny man.”

I loved that.

Favorite character?

“Rolando!” They said, one after another.

And then a hand of a young, black man went up in the back of the class:

“You and me, obviously, listen to different kinds of music. While I was reading this, I Googled some Springsteen lyrics. That guy can write! Now, with that being said, do you ever listen to my brand of music?”

I laughed.

“The peer pressure song, by Kendrick Lamar, is a great song.”

There was a lot of laughter.

As I was signing the books the kid said, “you really listen to Kendrick?”

I showed him the song on my phone.

“My man!” He laughed.

And the thing I enjoy most about the classes is that I am going back and forth with readers who “got” it.

“This book has a lot of troubled characters,” one woman said. “But in the end, their love and support for each other, and their faith is beautiful. Did you write it that way on purpose?”

“Of course,” I said. “It’s kind of what I want to do with each story.”

It made me feel great...

...but my favorite comment?

A black woman with a heavy accent, whispered it to me as I signed her book:

“You’re one funny motherf***er,” she said. “And I know, from how you write, that you don’t mind me phrasing it like that.”

Nope!

Didn’t mind it at all!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie